Causes Of Bad breath:
- Certain foods, such as onions, garlic and spices can cause bad breath.
- Smoking can cause an unpleasant mouth odor and can lead to gum disease, which also causes bad breath.
- Poor dental hygiene causes food particles to remain in your mouth, causing bad breath.
- Dry mouth can contribute to bad breath because the production of cleansing saliva is decreased:
- Dry mouth occurs naturally during sleep, causing “morning breath,” and it worsens if you breathe through your mouth.
- Some medications have dry mouth as a side-effect, producing bad breath as a result. Others are broken down in the body and release chemicals that are carried on your breath.
- Tooth decay, gum infection, and other infections in the mouth, nose and throat can contribute to bad breath.
- Diseases in the body can cause bad breath as a result of the chemicals they produce.
- Chronic reflux of stomach acids can be associated with bad breath.
Solutions to get rid of bad breath and boost confidence
Practice good oral care at home:
- Brushing twice a day and flossing regularly will avoid dental health issues.
- Change your toothbrush regularly: Bacteria can build up in a toothbrush and contribute to bad breath
- Scrape your tongue: The bacteria that coat your tongue are a big contributor to bad breath. To remove this smelly bacteria, gently brush your tongue with your toothbrush.
- Keep your mouth moist: Keeping well hydrated can improve your oral health immediately.
- Avoid Smoking: In addition to increasing your risk for cancer, smoking also damages gums, stains teeth and gives you bad breath.
- Avoid over the counter mouthwashes for everyday use:
Diet for a healthy mouth:
- Avoid eating too many sugary foods and drinks, which encourage bacterial growth in the mouth, and are also a cause of tooth decay.
- Avoid foods that are known to cause bad breath, like onions and garlic.
- Herbal home remedies include chewing and freshening your mouth with lemon or orange rind, cloves, fennel seeds, aniseed or mint.
- Taking probiotics everyday will help maintain good gut health.
Visit your Dentist:
Everyone craves a beautiful smile. White Shiny teeth make your smile attractive. Most of us don’t give our teeth the attention they need. We even brush teeth the wrong way. Failing to brush properly builds up plaque which may lead to gum disease. Use this step-by-step guide to find out how to properly brush your teeth.
1. Put the toothbrush against your teeth, tilting the brush to 45 degrees against the gum line. Brush in small circular movements on all the surfaces of each mouth.
2. Brush the outer areas of each tooth, both upper and lower. Keep the bristles against the gum line.
3. Brush the inner areas of each tooth, both upper and lower. Keep the bristles against the gum line.
4. Brush the surface of the teeth that you use for biting.
5. Brush your tongue to help remove bacteria and prevent bad breath.
Follow all the 5 steps and you will have a fresh breath and clean mouth in no time!
Monday – Thursday:
Friday – Saturday:
*Closed on Public Holidays*
*clinic may close early if bookings are not made in advance.
**Appointments after 3 pm on Saturdays are reserved for emergency and may incur a $50 surcharge.